With the current explosion of data in the fields of health and life sciences, there is a growing demand for professionals trained in relevant theory and corresponding computational and data-analytic practices, who can communicate with other related fields. Biostatisticians with advanced degrees can look forward to excellent career opportunities in government, industry, and academia. The Seventh Report to the President and Congress on the Status of Health Personnel in the United States and Objectives for the Nation notes that Biostatistics is a crucial technical competency for developing a skilled public health services workforce. Recent graduates of Biostatistics have found positions with employers as diverse as pharmaceutical companies, university research groups, hospitals, health-related industries, and other organizations.
Biostatistics focuses on developing new statistical methods, as well as applying existing techniques, to interpret data about the medical and life sciences. The proposed MS in Biostatistics program will:
- Fuse your interest in biology with your interest in statistics and computing.
- Learn how to help pharmaceutical companies test and develop new drugs.
- Help develop public health programs or policies that help people live better.
Who should apply?
Qualified students interested in applying statistical methods to the area of health sciences in general and clinical studies in particular. The program will have a quantitative focus and will appeal to students wishing to pursue careers in NJ’s thriving healthcare, life sciences, and biomedical industries, as well as in pharmaceutical research. Furthermore, the program is also expected to attract students desiring to pursue advanced studies and research in biostatistics.
How can I learn more?
- Master of Science in Biostatistics (1.1 MB, pdf)
- Read an interview with Sundarraman Subramanian on the MS in Biostatistics
- Attend a graduate Open House
- Request info from our Graduate Admissions Office
- Email Dr. Sundar Subramanian at email@example.com