Wooyoung Choi´s research interest lies mainly in fluid mechanics and nonlinear waves with focusing on mathematical modeling of various physical processes in the ocean. His research involves solving intriguing nonlinear problems with simple but reliable mathematical models and a skillful use of numerical techniques. In collaboration with physical oceanographers and engineers, laboratory and field experimental measurements are often used to validate his research results.
- PhD - California Institute of Technology, 1993
- MS - Seoul National University, 1986
- BS - Seoul National University, 1984
The main research interest of Wooyoung Choi lies in theoretical fluid mechanics, and specific research areas include nonlinear wave mechanics, free surface flows, geophysical flow processes, and naval hydrodynamics.
His current research projects include the development of theoretical models and efficient numerical methods to study the evolution of nonlinear ocean surface waves, with enhanced physical parameterizations of wave breaking and wind forcing, and the dynamics of large amplitude internal waves in density stratified oceans and their interaction with surface waves.
- Murashige, S. and Choi, W. A numerical study on parasitic capillary waves using unsteady conformal mapping, J. Comp. Phys., 328, 234-257, 2017.
- Kodaira, T., Waseda, T., Miyata, M. and Choi, W. Internal solitary waves in a two-fluid system with a free surface, accepted, J. Fluid Mech., 804, 201-223, 2016.
- Yoon, S., Kim, J. and Choi, W. An explicit data assimilation scheme for a nonlinear wave prediction model based on a pseudo-spectral method, IEEE J. of Oceanic Engineering, 41, 112-122, 2016.
- Murashige, S. and Choi, W. High-order Davies’ approximation for a solitary wave solution in Packham’s complex plane, SIAM J. Applied Mathematics, 75, 189-208, 2015.
- Barros, R. and Choi, W. Elementary stratified flows with stability at low Richardson number, Physics of Fluids, 26, 124107, 2014.
- Perlin, M. Choi, W. and Tian, Z. Breaking waves in deep and intermediate waters, Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech., Jan. 2013, 45, 115-145, 2013.
- Tiron, R. and Choi, W. Linear stability of finite amplitude capillary waves on water of infinite depth, J. of Fluid Mech., 696, 402-422, 2012.
- Choi, W., Goullet, A. and Jo, T.-C. An iterative method to solve a regularized model for strongly nolinear long internal waves, J. Comp. Phys., 230, 2021-2030, 2011.
- Tian, Z., Perlin, M. and Choi, W. Energy dissipation in two-dimensional unsteady plunging breakers and an eddy viscosity model, J. Fluid Mech., 655, 217-257, 2010.
- Choi, W., Barros, R. and Jo, T.-C. 2009 A regularized model for strongly nonlinear internal solitary waves, J. Fluid Mech., 629, 73-85.