Bruce G. Bukiet
|Hours:||Monday and Thursday1-2:15 pm; and by appointment|
Bruce Bukiet, PhD, is associate dean of the College of Science and Liberal Arts and associate professor in the department of mathematical sciences at New Jersey Institute of Technology. His research concerns the mathematical modeling of physical phenomena. Current interests include math and science education, and biomedical applications of mathematics, including dynamics of human balance and biological effects of massage therapy. He also works in the application of mathematical modeling for sports and gambling, in particular for understanding baseball.
Bukiet received NJIT´s Excellence in Teaching Award for outstanding work in 2006.
- PhD, Mathematics, Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, New York University
- Department of Mathematical Sciences, NJIT
- Department of Biomedical Engineering, NJIT
- Center for Applied Mathematics ( CAMS ), NJIT
- American Physical Society ( APS)
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics ( SIAM)
- Mathematical Association of America( MAA)
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
Bruce Bukiet´s research concerns mathematical modeling of physical phenomena. He has studied the dynamics of detonation waves, including curved detonations and detonation models of discrete mixtures. Prof. Bukiet also researches biological systems and has done work modeling stresses in the heart, blood flow in arteries, air flow in the lungs, and postural stability. Prof. Bukiet performs research geared toward understanding and optimizing aspects of baseball from a mathematical modeling perspective. Finally, Prof. Bukiet is involved in several efforts to improve math and science education at the K-12 level and performs research toward these efforts.
His current interests include biomedical applications of mathematics, including stresses in the heart and modeling the dynamics of flow in the human lung. He also works in the application of mathematical modeling for sports and gambling, in particular for understanding baseball.
- M. Ovens and B. Bukiet "A Mathematical Modelling Approach to One-Day Cricket Batting Orders" Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, Vol. 5, pp. 495-502, 2006.
- H. R. Chaudhry, C-Y. Huang, R. Schleip, Z. Ji, B. Bukiet, T. Findley, "Viscoelastic Behavior of Human Fasciae under Extension in Manual Therapy" accepted to Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies (9/06).
- H. R. Chaudhry, R. Schleip, Z. Ji, B. Bukiet, M. Maney, T. Findley, "Three Dimensional Mathematical Model for Deformation of Human Fascia in Manual Therapy" To appear, Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, (accepted 8/06).
- H. R. Chaudhry, Thomas Findley, Karen Quigley, Zhiming Ji, Miriam Maney, Tiffany Sims and Bruce Bukiet "Postural Stability Index is a More Valid Measure of Stability
than Equilibrium Score", Journal of rehabilitation research and development, Vol. 42, No. 4, pp. 547-556, July/August 2005.
- H. Chaudhry, T. Findley, K. S. Quigley, B. Bukiet, Z. Ji, T. Sims, M. Maney "Measures of Postural Stability" Journal of rehabilitation research and development, Vol. 41, No. 5, pp.
713-720, Sept/Oct 2004.
- H. R. Chaudhry, B. Bukiet, S. Kirshblum "Analysis of Stress and Pressure in the Human Alveolar Wall Before Bursting" Journal of Mechanics in Biology and Medicine, Vol. 4, No. 2, June 2004, pp. 153-159.
- H. R. Chaudhry, B. Bukiet, A. .B. Ritter, R. Arora "Mechanical Properties of Diseased Hearts in Adaptation" Journal of Mechanics in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 2, No. 2, (Apr. 2002) pp. 1-12.
- H. R. Chaudhry, B. Bukiet, M. Siegel, A. B. Ritter, T. Findley and N. Guzelsu "Adaptation of Passive Rat Left Ventricle in Diastolic Dysfunction", Journal of Theoretical Biology, Vol. 201, No. 1, (Nov. 1999), pp. 37-46.
- J. Starkenberg, V. Boyle and B. Bukiet, "Application of Front-Tracking Methods to Explosive Initiation Modeling", Proceedings of the International Workshop on New Models and Predictive Methods for Shock Wave / Dynamics Processes in Energetic Materials and Related Solids, College Park, Maryland, July 4-9, 1999.
- H. R. Chaudhry, B. Bukiet, A. B. Ritter and T. Findley "Evaluation of Residual Stress in Rabbit Skin and the Relevant Material Constants", Journal of Theoretical Biology, Vol. 192, p. 191-195, 1998.
- R. Dave and B. Bukiet, "Non-Intrusive Rigid Body Tracking Technique for Dry Particulate Flows, Part 1: Theoretical Aspects", Review of Scientific Instruments Vol. 69, No. 10, Oct. 1998.
- Bukiet, B., " (abstract) Solving Curved Detonation Riemann Problems" page 1 , other pages , figure captions , figures , Proceedings of the 1997 APS Conference on Shock Compression and Condensed Matter - August, 1998.
- Chaudhry, H. R., Bukiet, B., Ritter, A. B., Findley, T. and Guzelsu, N. "Optimal Patterns for Suturing Wounds", Journal of Biomechanics, Vol. 31, (July, 1998), pp. 653-662.
- Bukiet, B., Harold, E., and Palacios, J., "(postscript) A Markov Chain Approach to Baseball", (pdf version) , Operations Research, Vol. 45, No. 1, pp. 14-23, Jan/Feb 1997.
- Chaudhry, H. R., Bukiet, B., and Regan, T., "Dynamic Stresses and Strains in the Left Ventricular Wall based on Large Deformation Theory", International Journal of Nonlinear Mechanics Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 621-631, 1997.
- Chaudhry, H. R., Bukiet, B., Davis, A., Ritter, A. B. and Findley, T. "Residual Stresses in Oscillating Thoracic Arteries Reduce Circumferential Stresses and Stress Gradients", Journal of Biomechanics, Vol. 30, No. 1, 1997, pp. 57-62.
- Bukiet, B., Pelesko, J., Li, X. L., and Sachdev, P. L., "A Characteristic Based Numerical Method for Nonlinear Wave Equations," computers and mathematics with applications, Vol. 31, No. 7, 1996, pp. 75-79.
- Menikoff, R., Lackner, K. and Bukiet, B, "Modeling Flows with Curved Detonation Waves", Combustion and Flame, Vol. 104, No. 3, Feb. 1, 1996.
- Chaudhry, H. R., Bukiet, B. and Findley, T., "Stresses and Strains in the Passive Left Ventricle", Journal of Biological Systems Vol. 4, No. 4, 1996, pp. 535-554.
- Chaudhry, H. R., Bukiet, B. and Davis, A. M., "Stresses and Strains in the Left Ventricular Wall Approximated as a Thick Conical Shell Using Large Deformation Theory", Journal of Biological Systems, Vol. 4, No. 3, 1996, pp. 353-372.
- Chaudhry, H. R., Bukiet, B. and Lacker, M., "The Effect of Residual Stresses on Wave Speed in Arteries", J. Biol. Systems Vol. 4, No. 2, 1996, pp. 171-180.
- Podcast from Scientific American Website (Oct. 11, 2006)
- Interview on CNN about mathematical modeling of baseball (6.15MB) (You must have windows media player 6.4+).
- Numbers make Clemens a More Imposing Figure, by Prof. Bukiet, printed in Star Ledger, Thursday, June 19, 2003 p. 15.
- Going to bat for logic, by Paul Mulshine in Star Ledger 12/8/2002.
- Baseball, Hot Dogs and Apple Pi, at Techcentralstation.com. Posted on Sept. 20, 2002 Radio interview on Todd Mundt Show NPR on September 4, 2002 Go about 48 minutes into the show to hear the 3 minutes of me.
- Don´t put money on betting model. Article in National Post (2nd largest paper in Canada) August 2, 2002
- In face of these odds, Mets fans must be Brave, Article on Front Page of the Star Ledger October 19, 1999
- NSF GRADUATE TEACHING FELLOWS IN K-12 EDUCATION (GK-12) program 2007-2012, "Computation and Communication: Promoting Research Integration in Science and Mathematics (C2PRISM)"
- NSF Robert Noyce Scholarship Program 2006-2010, "Teacher Education Collaboration for High Needs Schools - New Jersey (TECHS-NJ)"
- NSF Course, Curriculum, and Laboratory Improvement (CCLI) Program 2005-2008, "Equipment and Modules for a Capstone Course in Applied Mathematics"
- APS-NYSS Outreach grant 2002-2003, "Mathematical and Physical Sciences Workshop for High School Students and Teachers"
- APS-NYSS Outreach grant 2001-2002 "Mathematical and Physical Sciences Workshop for High School Students and Teachers"
- US Army/Batelle Contract -- Modeling Detonation Initiation, 1997-2001
- NASA Student Launch Project 1997-1999.
- NSF-ILI grant for Capstone Course and Laboratory, 1996-1998.