|Hours:||Tuesday 10am-11:30am , Wed 10:00am-111:30am|
The research of Manuel Perez is in the areas of heat transfer, drying of porous media, expert systems, medical diagnosis by computer, and mechanical properties of fibrous webs. He is now working on survival studies of prostate cancer patients, and on evaluating the efficacy of surgical procedures and radiation treatment for various stages of the disease.
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, City University of New York
My research interests are in the areas of Heat Transfer, Expert Systems, Medical Diagnosis by Computer, Mechanical Properties of Fibrous Webs.
My most current research is in the development of Medical Diagnostic Software utilizing artificial intelligence. I have been working in this area for several years in collaboration with Dr. Martin Sturman, the Director of Nuclear Medicine and Visceral Ultasonography at St. Michael´s Medical Center in Newark, New Jersey and with Dr. Mario Reis, Director of Urology, at the University of Porto in Porto, Portugal. To date I have developed several programs which utilize Bayesian decision theory and emulate the thought process of the expert physician. These programs cover Coronary disease, Hyperthyroidism and Abdominal Pain Diagnosis, and Urological Problems.
- “Glandular Metastisis on Radical Prostatectomy”, Acta Medica Portuguesa, 17,1-7, June 2005(Reis)
- “Adjuvant Radiotherapy After Radical Prostatectomy in Patients with Extracapsular Tumor Extension”, URO(Portuguese Journal of Urology), Vol.9/No.1, 7-14, June 2005.(Reis)
- “Gangular Positive Disease(pT1-3,N+) Post Radical Prostatectomy”, Acta Urologica Portuguesa, 17, 1-7, June 2004.(Reis)
- ”Radical Prostatectomy In The Treatment Of Clinically Localized Prostate Cancer”, Acta Urologica Portuguesa, 18, 14-47, Jan. 2001. (Reis)
- "Analysis and Optimization of Trichloroethylene Incineration using a Detailed Reaction Mechanisim and a Flow Reactor Model", Proceedings Fourth International Conference on Technologies and Combustion for a Clean Environment,Lisbon, Portugal, July 7-10, 1997.(Bozzellli)
- "Medical Diagnosis by Computer in Urology", Acta.Urol.Port.,13-1/4: 83-90,1996.(Reis)
- "Probability of Cardiac Disease:Framingham Revisited", Revista Portuguesa de Cardiologia", Vol. 9,No., March, 1990, pp 455-461 1990. (Sturman)
- "Computer Assisted Diagnosis of Acute Abdominal Pain", Comprehensive Therapy", Vol.15, No. 2, 26-35, February, 1989.(Sturman)
- "A Novel Approach to Optimizing Sheet Formation on the Fourdrinier. Part I: Vibrating the Forming Fabric vertical at or Near its Resonant Frequency", Tappi Journal, No. 4, April, 1989, pp71-75. (Kallmes, Marinari)
- "Computers for Medical Diagnosis",Physicians & Computers,Vol No 5, September, 1986.(Sturman)
- "Minimizing Flocculation on the Fourdrinier" Tappi Journal,Vol 6 No 11,November,1983.(Kallmes)
- "Energy and Environmental Technology",Journal of Chemical Education, Vol 57, November, 1980 (Kimmel,Tompkins)
- "A Mechanistic Theory of The Load Elongation Properties of Paper-A Uniform Strain Theory for Paper",Paper Technology and Industry,Vol 18 No 7,August,1977.(Bernier,Kallmes)
- "A Mechanistic Theory of The Load Elongation Properties of Paper-The Characteristics of fibers Taken into Account",Paper Technology and Industry, Vol 18 No 8, September,1977.(Bernier,Kallmes)
- "A Mechanistic Theory of The Load Elongation Properties of Paper-The Theory of The Tensile Failure of Paper",Paper Technolo gy and Industry,Vol 18 No 9,October,1977.(Bernier,Kallmes)
- "A Mechanistic Theory of The Load Elongation Properties of Paper- Experimental Evaluation of The Theory",Paper Technology and Industry,Vol 18 No 11,December,1977.(Bernier,Kallmes)
- "Recovery of Various Paper Grades by Selective Wettability",Tappi Journal Vol 59 No 8 ,August,1976.(Liskowitz, Welshans)
- "Wettability of Various Paper Grades",Proceedings 1976 Tappi Annual Meeting.(Liskowitz,Welshans)
- "Radiant Heating of an Absorbing,Scattering and Emitting Slab",Journal of The Franklin Institute, Vol 54 No 1, January,1973.(Baldo)
- "Strain Measurement in Paper",Tappi Journal,Vol 54 No 2, February,1972(Alexander,Bernier,Andiloro)
- "A Mathematical Model of The Stress Strain Properties of Paper",Tappi Journal,Vol 52 No 12,December,1970.
- "Radiant Heating in an Absorbing,Scattering Slab",Journal of the Franklin Institute,Vol 290 No 6,June,1968.(Baldo)
- "The Structure of Paper:The Role of Fiber Curl in Paper Properties",Tappi Journal, Vol 48 No 10,October,1965.(Kallmes)
- "A New Theory for the Load/Elongation Properties of Paper",Presented at the Third Fundamental Research Symposium,BPBMA,Cambridge,London,England;Published in Transac tions of the Cambridge Symposium Book-"Consolidation of the Paper Web",Ed.,F.Bolam,1966.Vol 2.(Kallmes)
- "Load/Elongation Properties of Fibers",ibid,"Consolidation of the Paper Web",Ed.,F.Bolam,1966,Vol 1,1966(Kallmes)
- "Optimum Utilization of Impregnated Throat Inserts in Rocket Nozzles by Surface Encapsulation and Preferential Venting",Pro ceedings of the American Institute of Aeornautics and Astronau tics Solid Rocket Conference,Palo Alto, California,1965.
- "Gas Scrubber", US Patent No. 279,848 allowed to Manuel Perez, July 17, 1974.