|Hours:||Tuesday and Wednesday, 4 to 5pm, for Spring 2011.|
The research of Yuan-Nan Young focuses on the multiphase flows in computational fluid dynamics (CFD), and relevant issues in numerical treatment of moving boundary problems. In particular he has numerically investigated how surfactants, both soluble and insoluble, can affect the pinch-off of bubbles in viscous fluids. He also investigates numerical schemes to optimize the accuracy of regularization of surface tension force in CFD codes. His current projects also include an investigation on the hysteretic behavior of drop deformation in highly viscous straining flows.
- PhD, Astronomy and Astrophysics, University of Chicago
- MSc, Astronomy and Astrophysics, University of Chicago
- BSc, Physics, National Taiwan University
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematical Sciences at NJIT, Newark, NJ, Fall 2004-present
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for Turbulence Research, Stanford University, working with Doron Levy at Stanford´s Mathematics Department and Nagi Mansour at NASA Ames Research Center, Fall 2002 - July 2004
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Engineering Sciences and Applied Mathematics at Northwestern University. Supervisor: Hermann Riecke, Fall 2000 - August 2002.
- Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Fellow and Visitor at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution , Summer 1998, 1999, 2001, and 2005.
- Graduate Student in Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics at University of Chicago. Supervisor: Robert Rosner, Fall 1994-Spring 2000
- two-phase flows, effect of (soluble and insoluble) surfactants and micelles
- mixing of two-phase flows
- pattern-forming hydrodynamical systems and defect chaos
- stirring and mixing, transport and particle dynamics
- geophysical fluid dynamics: stratified shear flow, wind-driven surface waves and air-sea exchange
Complex Fluid Dynamics
- fluid-structure interaction: elastic, inextensible fiber in Stokesian flow
- bio-polymer (actin filaments, for example) and its interaction with proteins (myosin, for example)
- interaction between filament and interface
- Particle (Lagrangian) formulation of the advection-diffusion process
- Level set methods in material sciences
- anisotropy in forced turbulence, such as Rayleigh-Taylor instability
- coupling between large-scale coherent mean flow and small-scale self-similar eddies
- Lagrangian description of turbulent mixing in Rayleigh-Taylor and Kelvin-Helmoltz instabilities
- Hysteretic and chaotic dynamics of viscous drops in creeping flows with rotation (.pdf), with Jerzy Blawzdziewicz, V. Cristini and R. H. Goodman, accepted, to appear in Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 2008.
- Influence of insoluble surfactant on the deformation and breakup of a bubble or thread in a viscous fluid (.pdf), with M. Hameed, M. Siegel, J. Li, M. R. Booty and D. T. Papageorgiou, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 594 , 307-340, 2008.
- A stretch-coil transition and transport of fibers in cellular flows (.pdf), with Mike Shelley, Physical Review Letters, 99 , 058303, 2007.
- Limits of the potential flow approach to the single-mode Rayleigh-Taylor problem (.pdf), with P. Ramaprabhu, Guy Dimonte, A. C. Calder and B. Fryxell, Physical Review E, 74 , 74, 066308, 2006.
- Surface tension in incompressible Rayleigh-Taylor mixing flow (.pdf), with F. Ham, Journal of Turbulence, 7 (Number 71), 1-23, 2006.
- Stratified Kolmogorov Flow: Part II, with N. Balmforth, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 528, 23-42, 2005.
- Registration-Based Morphing of Active Contours for Segmentation of CT Scans (.pdf), with D. Levy, Mathematical Biosciences and Engineering, 2, 79-96, 2005.
- A comparative study of the turbulent Rayleigh-Taylor instability using high-resolution 3D numerical simulations: The Alpha-Group collaboration (.pdf), with G. Dimonte and the alpha-group, Physics of Fluids, 16(5), 1668-1693, 2004.
- Weakly non-linear analysis of wind-driven gravity waves (.pdf), with A. Alexakis and R. Rosner, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 503 171-200, 2004.
- A hybrid Eulerian-Lagrangian method for LES of atomizing spray, with F. Ham, S. Apte and M. Herrmann, Advances in Fluid Mechanics, 37 313, 2004.
- Whirling and defect chaos in non-Boussinesq convection, with H. Riecke and W. Pesch, New Journal of Physics, 5135.1-135.16, 2003.
- Penta-hepta defect chaos in a model for rotating hexagonal convection (.pdf), with H. Riecke, Physical Review Letters, 90, 134502, 2003.
- Induced defect nucleation and side-band instabilities in hexagons with rotation and mean flow (.pdf), with H. Riecke, Physica D, 176, 107-124, 2003.
- Universality of scalar statistics in stably stratified turbulence (.pdf), with S. Wunsch, Physical Review E, 66,016306, 2002.
- Mean flow in the hexagonal convection: stability and nonlinear dynamics, with H. Riecke (.pdf), Physica D 163, 166-183, 2002.
- Shear instability of fluid interfaces: Stability analysis (.pdf), with A. Alexakis and R. Rosner, Physical Review E, 65, 026313, 2002.
- Stratified Kolmogorov flow (.pdf), with N. Balmforth, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 450, 131-167, 2002.
- On the C/O Enrichment of Novae Ejecta, with R. Rosner, A. Alexakis, J. Truran and W. Hilderbrandt, Astrophysical Journal Letters, 562, L177-L179, 2001.
- On the miscible Rayleigh-Taylor instability: two and three dimensions (.pdf), with H. Tufo, A. Dubey and R. Rosner, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 447, 377-408, 2001.
- Flash code: Studying astrophysical thermonuclear flashes, with R. Rosner and the FLASH team, Computing in Science and Engineering, 2, 33-41, 2000.
- Numerical simulation of double-diffusive convection in a rectangular box, with R. Rosner, Physical Review E, 61, 2676-2694, 2000.
- Linear and weakly nonlinear analysis of doubly diffusive vertical slot convection, with R. Rosner, Physical Review E, 57, 5554-5563, 1998.
- Linear stability analysis of doubly-diffusive vertical slot convection, with R. Rosner, Physical Review E, 57, 1183-1186, 1998.
Conference Proceedings (* = refereed)
- Stratified Kolmogorov flow, in Stirring and Mixing, 1999 Summer Study Program in Geophysical Fluid Dynamics , Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. Available from /web/20160806160111/http://gfd.whoi.edu/proceedings.
- *Transition from Eulerian to Lagrangian description of multiphase flows using the particle level set method, ILASS Americas 15th annual conference on liquid atomization and spray systems, Monterey, CA, May 2003.
- *Stratified Kolmogorov flow, with N. Balmforth, Proceedings of the 12th Taylor-Couette Conference, September, 2001.
- *On the miscible Rayleigh-Taylor instability: 2D versus 3D, with H. Tufo, A. Dubey and R. Rosner, Proceedings of the 2000 ICTAM meetings at Chicago, September, 2000.
Technical Reports (* = refereed)
- *Turbulent mixing of multiphase flows, with J. Ferziger, F. Ham and M. Herrmann, CTR Annual Review Brief, 2003.
- *Subgrid scale modeling in solar convection simulations using ASH, with M. Miesch and N. Mansour, CTR Annual Review Brief, 2003.
- *A Cartesian adaptive level set method for two-phase flows, with F. Ham, CTR Annual Review Brief, 2003.
- *Interaction between turbulent flow and free surfaces, with F. Ham and N. Mansour, CTR Annual Review Brief, 2002.