|Hours:||M: 11AM-12PM Th: 11:30AM-12:30PM|
|Dept:||Dept. of Mathematical Sciences|
Wooyoung Choi´s research interest lies mainly in fluid mechanics and nonlinear waves, in particular, with applications to geophysical flow problems. His recent research focuses on the development of simple but accurate mathematical models to describe various physical processes in the ocean and, in collaboration with physical oceanographers, their validation with field and laboratory measurements. His current research projects include the development of new asymptotic models and efficient numerical methods to study the short-term evolution of nonlinear ocean surface waves with enhanced physical parameterizations of wave breaking and wind forcing, and the dynamics of large amplitude internal waves in density stratified oceans and their surface signatures.
- PhD California Institute of Technology, 1993
- MS Seoul National University, 1986
- BS Seoul National University, 1984
- American Physical Society (APS): Division of Fluid Dynamics (DFD)
- Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
- American Geophysical Union (AGU)
Honors and Fellowships
- Quarterdeck Outstanding Faculty Member Award, Univ. of Mich., April 2005
- Faculty Research Fellowship, Rackham School of Graduate Studies, Univ. of Michigan, 2002
- R. B. Chapman Memorial Award, California Institute of Technology, 1993
- C. L. Powell Fellowships, California Institute of Technology, 1990
The main research interest of Wooyoung Choi lies in theoretical and computational fluid mechanics, and specific research areas include nonlinear wave mechanics, free surface flows, geophysical flow processes, naval hydrodynamics, vortex dynamics, and hydrodynamic stability. His research involves solving intriguing nonlinear problems with simple but reliable analytical models and a skillful use of numerical techniques.
Current research projects include the development of mathematical models for short-term prediction of evolving nonlinear wave fields and nonlinear wave-body interaction, and the study of large amplitude internal solitary waves and their surface signatures with application to remote sensing.
- Goullet, A. and Choi, W. (2008) Large amplitude internal solitary waves in a two-layer system of piecewise linear stratification. Physics of Fluids, Accepted.
- Choi, W. (2008) Nonlinear surface waves interacting with a linear shear current. Mathematics and Computers in Simulations. Accepted.
- Tian, Z., Perlin, M. & Choi, W. (2008) Evaluation of a deep water wave breaking criterion. Physics of Fluids, 20, 066604.
- Jo, T.-C. & Choi, W. (2008) On stabilizing the strongly nonlinear internal wave model. Studies in Applied Math., 120, 65-85.
- Kent, C. P. & Choi, W. (2007) An explicit formulation for the evolution of nonlinear surface wave interacting with a submerged body. Int. J. Num. Methods in Fluids, 55, 1019-1038.
- Nachbin, A. & Choi, W. (2007) Nonlinear waves over highly variable topography. Eur. Phys. J. ST, 147, 113-132.
- Choi, W. & Lyzenga, D. R. (2006) Nonlinear surface wave dynamics in slowly varying ocean environments. Proceedings of the 26th Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics.
- Choi, W. (2006) The effect of a background shear current on large amplitude internal solitary waves. Phys. of Fluids, 18, 036601.
- Camassa, R., Choi, W., Michallet, H., Rusas, P.-O., & Sveen, J. K. (2006) On the realm of validity of strongly nonlinear asymptotic approximations for internal waves. J. Fluid Mech. 549, 1-23.
- Choi, W., Kent, C. P., & Schillinger, C.J. (2005) Numerical modeling of nonlinear surface waves and its validation. Advances in Engineering Mechanics – Reflections and outlooks in honor of Theodore Y.-T. Wu., edited by A.T. Chwang, M.H. Teng & D.T. Valentine, 94-110.
- Choi, W. & Kent, C. P. (2004) A pseudo-spectral method for nonlinear free surface hydrodynamics. Proceedings of the 25th Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics.
- Li, Y. A., Hyman, J. M., & Choi, W. (2004) A numerical study of the exact evolution equations for surface waves in water of finite depth. Studies in Applied Math. 113, 303-324.
- Choi, W., Prasad, D., Camassa, R., & Ecke, R. E. (2004) Traveling waves in the Rayleigh-Bernard convection with rotation, Phys. Rev. E 69 05631.
- Choi, W. (2003) Strongly nonlinear long gravity waves in uniform shear flows. Phys. Rev. E 68, 026305.
- Jo, T. & Choi, W. (2002) Dynamics of strongly nonlinear internal solitary waves in shallow water. Studies in Applied Math. 109, 205-228.
- Choi, W. (2000) Modeling of strongly nonlinear internal waves in a multilayer system. Proceedings of the Fourth International Conf. on Hydrodynamics (Goda, Y., Ikehata, M. and Suzuki, K., Eds), pp453—458, 2000.
- Choi, W. & Camassa, R. (1999) Fully nonlinear internal waves in a two-fluid system. J. Fluid Mech. 396, 1-36.
- Choi, W. & Camassa, R. (1999) Exact evolution equations for surface waves. J. Eng. Mech. 125, 756-760.
- Choi, W. (1997) On the fission of algebraic solitons. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. A 453, 1753-1762.
- Choi, W. & Camassa, R. (1996) Weakly nonlinear internal waves in a two-fluid system. J. Fluid Mech. 313, 83-103.
- Choi, W. & Camassa, R. (1996) Long internal waves of finite amplitude. Phys. Rev. Lett. 77, 1759-1762.
- Choi, W. & Wu, T. Y. (1996) Vortex solitons in a rotating fluid within a non-uniform tube. Wave Motion 24, 243-262.
- Choi, W. (1995) Nonlinear evolution equations for two-dimensional surface waves in a fluid of finite depth. J. Fluid Mech. 295, 381-394.